So here are my babies.
High-key #1

This is a door on a van. (Sorry for my poor English word usage. You know what it is.) It's white enough. I added some black so the contrast can look good. I was worried that I could lose the highlight part on the metal frame, but it turned out to be fine. It's a simple but interesting picture, which is a type that I like. I don't need to set anything up. All I need to do is to wait for a good daylight, stand in a just-right position and take the picture.
My favorite watch! When I saw the assignment--re-do high-key/low-key, the first thing jumping into my mind is this watch. It's my favorite. It's pleasantly white. The numbers on it are in a funny-looking cursive version. It's huge (double the size of a normal watch). And it tells time, which is why I like the watch. I'm a person who can't live without a watch on my wrist. Losing track of time means getting lost in life to me. So I excitedly took it out and took tons of pictures of it. Different views, on different backgrounds, and different parts... However, there are not too many good ones. Sometimes it's just frustrating that you like something very much, but you can't use your camera to show your love for it and to show why you like it. I learn from this picture that what percent of a picture is telling the story is very important.
White is white. Black is not grey. And it tells the story above. So conclusion: I like this photo.
Low-key #1

Low-key #1

This is... well apparently a remote. It's actually put on a black T-shirt of mine, which is full of dust. But I didn't worry about the dust because I know I would make the background really dark so the dust would eventually disappear. The subtle light on the right side of the remote is JUST RIGHT. But there're things I'd like to improve in this photo, you know, as a perfectionist.
I wish the remote could be exactly in the middle of the photo and the edges of it can be parallel to the frame of the photo.
I wish the letters on the buttons can be whiter, so I could have better contrast.
I wish it could tell a story.
I wish ...
The bellows! (Thank you Mr. Slade for teaching me a new word. I'll remember that it's singular AND plural. :) ) I like how sharp it is on the leather part. I like the details I get by adding a little bid light to it. I like the contrast formed by the shiny vent and the black table. But I always feel there's a better way to pose it. And it might be better to make the line on the table invisible. I did try a lot of poses for it but they didn't work well.
It's not a perfect picture, not even close. But it has its charm. And I have a story to tell about it. It's called "being amazed by the fact that fireplaces and bellows are common in America". Haha.
Ok. In general, I'm a big fan of this assignment. I literally learned a lot from it. When I was taking photos in the hotel room in Las Vegas, a thought crossed my mind: will the normal pictures be too bored to me after this assignment? Because you know, good high-key/low-key pictures are really cool-looking. We'll see.


No comments:
Post a Comment